Monday, May 10, 2010

Determined Locavore

Have been enrapt in converting to locavorism...not an easy task when I have no land to call my own.  Still, I've read (er, listened to, to be precise) Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food and I'm convinced local food is the way to go...on more than one level.

Saturday and Wednesday farmers markets provide a nice basis and not quite 50% of my meals are comprised wholly or mostly of local produce.  Am having to fill in gaps created by my lack of inventiveness in food planning with organics that leave massive carbon footprints, but I'm on the way.

The largest obstacle I see looming is the spring water issue.  I don't trust Houston water as far as I can spray it, but I'm harboring lots of guilt over the plastic containers that house my spring water of choice, Crystal Geyser.

This, as all of life, is a process.

No comments:

Post a Comment